Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vietnamese Chicken Curry


Today I made Vietnamese Chicken Curry (Ca Ri Ga). I researched several recipes and finally found one that seemed relatively easy and simple to make in less than an hour. It turned out delicious and one that I will make again for family and friends. I love recipes from Mai Pham and her restaurant Lemon Grass in Sacramento is definitely a great spot for foodies.


Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes
by Mai Pham from Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table

Yields 4 servings
3 tbsp of curry powder (I used Madras)
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs chicken thighs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp chopped shallot (I omited)
2 tsp minced garlic (I added about 1 tbsp since I love garlic)
2 tsp chili paste or dried chili flakes
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2 lemongrass stalks, cut into 3 inch pieces and bruised wth flat side of knife
1 (1 in piece) ginger, peeled and cut into 3 slices and bruised with flat side of knife (I left the peel on)
1 1/2 cups fresh chicken stock ( I used 3 cups because I like to dip the curry soup in hot french bread)
3 carrots, peeled, and cut into 2/3 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (1 can)
1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes ( I used 2 potatoes so the soup thickens)

Preparation:
1. Combine 2 tablespoons of curry powder, salt and chicken in a bowl. Coat meat evenly and marinate for at least 30 minutes

2. Heat the oil in a medium pot, add shallot, garlic, chili paste and 1 tbsp curry powder (10 seconds)

3. Add the chicken and cook until golden (4 minutes)

4. Add the fish sauce, sugar, lemongrass, ginger and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat

5. Add the carrots, coconut milk, onion, and sweet potato (simmer for 25 minutes)

Serve with jasmine rice, egg noodles, or hot toasted french bread

The curry tastes best if you marinate the chicken at least over night to infuse the ca ri madras powder.

1 comment: